Learn, participate and develop great skills at
Brooklyn Tech Week (BkTechWk)
We are looking for high school seniors, university students as well as recent graduates who are interested in tech: Blockchain, Cryptocurrency, AI, IoT, AR/VR, Fintech, UrbanTech, Real Estate Tech/Proptech, Startups, Angel/VC investment, and journalism to volunteer at the Brooklyn Tech Week Festival 2018 in New York. As a volunteer, you get to work behind the scenes, meet some of today’s top influences, leaders, and stakeholders in tech. Work with peers from diverse backgrounds and make connections with people from all over the city and beyond.
What we’re looking for in a volunteer
We are looking for volunteers who possess a broad set of skills and abilities. We seek friendly, upbeat, motivated team members with awesome communication skills. You must have an excellent command of English.
Training and support from the volunteer coordinator will be provided prior to the start of the event. All volunteers will be briefed on their roles and responsibilities. You will work closely with other volunteers and the team leader will always be there for any questions you might have. We want you to have a volunteering experience that is positive, educational, and fun.
- Meals provided throughout the duration of the BkTechWk from Wednesday to Saturday.
- Volunteers receive free access to BkTechWk conference/summit sessions when not on duty
- Access to the evening networking events, cocktail parties, and happy hours
The BkTechWk will not provide a stipend, and will (unfortunately) not cover travel costs or accommodation for volunteers.
Roles & Responsibilities
The volunteers will be split into two teams: the Hosting Team and the ‘Media Coverage team.
- Greet and assist attendees and act as a guide during the BkTechWk
- Help coordinate programme activities
- Assist in the registration process
Media Coverage Team:
- Assist in multimedia coverage of the Summit: articles, photos, and videos
- Contribute to the social media feed on the Summit’s official channels
- Conduct interviews with key individuals
Media Coverage Team:
- Excellent command of written English (familiarity with editorial writing is a plus)
- Simple photo and video editing skills
- Asset research (photos, gifs, etc.)
- Familiarity with Medium, WordPress, and MailChimp is a strong asset
- Actively use 3 or more social media channels: Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, Telegram
- Preferably a media and journalism student or recent graduate
- Excellent command of English. Other languages are a plus
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable speaking with large groups of people
- Extremely upbeat and friendly attitude
Generally, we prefer anyone who’s interested in the intersection between journalism and technology. A deep love for Carly Rae Jepsen and cheesecake is a must.
If selected, you will have to attend a training and orientation workshops with the producer and BkTechWk staff between Oct 15 – Oct 22. We will also invite volunteers for a meetup to get to know each other.
Volunteers are expected to attend a general meeting with the entire BkTechWk team on Nov 3rd or Nov 4th.
Volunteers are expected to start work from 8 am until 6 pm every day on November 7-10, 2018. When not on duty, volunteers are free to attend sessions. Volunteers are more than welcome to attend the evening networking events and cocktails.
Contact us: volunteer [at] brooklyntechweek.org